Winter Maintenance Application Rates and Guidance for Parking Lots, Sidewalks and Trails
Winter maintenance professionals who clear snow and ice from parking lots, sidewalks, and trails can use locally-tailored application rate guidelines for using the least amount of salt to get the job done. They can also voluntarily become certified, to demonstrate to their clients that they work for their safety and for the protection of our lakes, streams and drinking water. Visit the City of Madison's Winter Salt Certification webpage to learn more about this program.
Winter Maintenance Guidelines:
- Training Supplement
- Anti-icing (before the storm) Application Rate Guidelines
- Anti-icing Winter Maintenance Strategies
- Deicing Application Rate Guidelines
- Deicing Winter Maintenance Strategies
- The Future of Winter Maintenance Involves Liquid Only Strategies
Winter Maintenance Certification Trainings are offered each fall. For a list of upcoming trainings, visit the events page on the Wisconsin Salt Wise website.